In 1864, Gerard Heineken took over the languishing Amsterdam brewery ‘De Hooiberg’. He moved the brewery to the from the city centre to Stadhouderskade, which at that time was still outside the city. As a result, and thanks to switching to a low-fermentation brewing method from the then successful ‘Bavarian bier’, he managed to breathe new life into the brewery.
The Heineken Brewing Company, 1982.
In the middle of the polder
Heineken moved the brewery to a site in the middle of the polder. The main building, designed by Isaac Gosschalk (who was also the architect for the Westergasfabriek), had been built in a renaissance revival and gothic revival style, with crow-stepped gables, alternating stone courses, round arch windows and overhanging turrets.
View of the Heineken Brewery, with Ferdinand Bolstraat on the right.
After the First World War, Heineken focussed more and more on export. Buying up competing breweries increased nationwide market share. The company even made great strides on the international market. The brewery and accompanying cellars, offices and storehouses built by Gosschalk were no longer sufficient and were replaced by the buildings that now stand on the Stadhouderskade.
Interior of the Heineken Brewery.
After the brewery was moved to Zoeterwoude in 1975, a sizeable proportion of the factory complex that was closed in 1988 made way for new construction on the Marie Heinekenplein. The building on the corner with Ferdinand Bolstraat has been used as a tourist attraction since 1992.