Amsterdam school monument

Het Nieuwe Huis was in 1918 founded by Mrs. A.E.M.C. Kruys (its completion was in 1928). It continues to function as an apartment complex where single people are granted freedom and comfort. The building was commissioned under the supervision of the housing association, The Samenwerking. With government support, the plan for a central kitchen and restaurant was taken on. This way, all of the bachelors and bachelorettes could eat together in their own dining hall. Today, the restaurant is closed and the space has been expanded into a public library.