History and construction
The station building was designed by Pierre Cuypers and A. L. van Gendt, and was first open to the public in 1889. The roof spans approximately 40 metres and features cast iron fabricated by Andrew Handyside of Derby, England. The building is situated on three man-made islands which are supported by 8,687 wooden piles pounded deep into the sandy soil. The station is currently undergoing a major renovation project, in part due to the new North-South metro line. Despite construction, the station remains open as usual.