Your citizen service number (CSN)

As a result of registering with the municipality you will be assigned a citizen service number (CSN), which will be sent to your home address. A CSN is required in order to be permitted to work, open a bank account, make use of a health care institution and to apply for benefits or an allowance.

Which type of registration?

There are two types of possible municipal registration dependent on the length of your stay in the Netherlands. Highly skilled migrants who will be resident for four months or less should read more about the registration procedure for short stay migrants. Anyone coming from abroad to work or study still requires a CSN number, even for short stays. For those migrants who will be resident in the Netherlands for longer than four months, please read on for more details about the standard registration procedures.

Where to register in Amsterdam

There are three places to register in Amsterdam depending on the purpose of your stay:


Please note, there are applicable service fees when using the Expatcenter's streamlined services.

Amsterdam City Hall or City Office Zuidoost

  • All other registrations should take place at the Amsterdam City Hall or City Office Zuidoost. This includes EU citizens working for a company that is not recognised as an official sponsor by the IND. For more information or to make an appointment, call the City of Amsterdam's helpline number: 14 020  or +31 (0)20 624 1111 (if calling from abroad).

Registration requirements 

Please note that everyone living in or moving to Amsterdam is required to register their address in the Municipal Personal Records Database (BRP). It’s also very important to be registered at the actual and correct address of residence. Depending on individual circumstances, it may be necessary to present relevant birth, marriage or death certificates and other required documentation to the municipality upon registering for the first time.

Failure to register at the correct address, to notify the municipality of a change of address on time and to present all relevant documents is punishable and the municipality can impose a fine of up to €325.

For more information about being registered in Amsterdam, please refer to (in Dutch) and this brochure in English.

Required documents

Not all documents are automatically valid in the Netherlands. The civil registry and the Expatcenter will only accept official documents in Dutch, English, French or German. An official translation will be required for other languages. Some documents may also require proof of authenticity (legalisatie). For more information click here.

Please note: as of 6 January 2014, highly skilled migrants from outside the EU with the official residence status of knowledge migrant or scientific researcher no longer have to present a copy of their birth certificate when registering at the town halls in Amsterdam, Amstelveen, Almere, Diemen, Haarlem, Haarlemmermeer, Hilversum and Velsen.

Accompanying partner and/or children

Partners and/or children must also register with the municipality. To do so, make an appointment to visit the Expatcenter (provided at least one member of the family meets the Expatcenter criteria mentioned above) or the registration department in Amsterdam City Hall or City Office Zuidoost in person. The following documents are required to register an accompanying child and/or partner:

  • Marriage certificate
  • Birth certificate of child(ren)
  • Deed of adoption or acknowledgement of child(ren)

Please note: Registration at the Amsterdam City Hall or City Office Zuidoost is free; fees apply for registration at the Expatcenter.

Further information

If you require further information, call the city information number 14 020 (Monday to Friday, 8:00 to 18:00). If you are calling from abroad, please call +31 (0)20 624 1111.

Expatcenter partners

See a list of Expatcenter partners, including translation services.