An EU citizen living in the Netherlands is legally required to register with the municipality. If the EU citizen is going to work for a company that is officially recognised as a sponsor by the IND, he or she should register at the Expatcenter.

To register, EU citizens will need to bring:

  • valid identification (passport or identity card)
  • a current work contract
  • an original birth certificate in Dutch, English, French or German (or a translation by a sworn translator) and authenticated if required *
  • if applicable, an original marriage certificate, divorce decree, adoption certificate, family book (Daftar or Livret dÉtat Civil) or former residence permit (translated and authenticated where required)*
  • one of the following documents:
    • a rental/ tenancy agreement (huurovereenkomst)
    • a recent house deed or home purchase agreement
    • written permission from the main tenant of the house, along with a copy of the main tenant's valid passport or identity card

All EU citizens are required to register. Citizens of the EU and EEA do not need a residence permit (with the exception of individuals from Croatia).

*these certificates can be submitted within three months of the appointment


Everyone in the Netherlands needs a citizen service number (burgerservicenummer or CSN). You will recieve your CSN as a result of the municipal registration.

Health insurance

In the Netherlands you are obliged to take out health insurance, even if you have health insurance in your country of origin. You can choose your own health insurance provider (zorgverzekeraar) who offers the basic package (basisverzekering) and may change insurance providers once a year. To register for health insurance, you need a citizen service number (burgerservicenummer – CSN).

If you do not purchase Dutch health insurance, you risk being fined and billed retroactively for the months you were not insured.

Please see our article on health insurance for more information. 

Permanent residence document

If you have resided lawfully in the Netherlands for an uninterrupted period of a minimum of five years, you may be eligible for a document of permanent residence for EU citizens. However, acquiring the document is not compulsory. Read more here.


Find out more about working in Amsterdam on our work pages. In addition, the public employment service, UWV WERKbedrijf, plays an important role in the Dutch labour market. On this website, they offer lots of useful information about working in the Netherlands for EU citizens. The site is run in partnership with EURES, the EU's official European Job Mobility Portal.

EU information line (Europe Direct)

Europe Direct offers central information services reachable by phone or internet as well as local information services in every EU country and is specifically tailored to local needs.

The Europe Direct contact centre provides:

  • Answers in the official EU language of your choice.

  • Immediate response to general questions on EU matters or a referral to additional sources of information.

  • Contact details of relevant organisations.

  • Free postal delivery of certain EU publications.

Call the toll-free number from anywhere in the EU during opening hours (09:00 - 18:30 CET on weekdays): 00-800 678 91011. If you are calling from outside the EU, call the standard number at + 32 (0)2 299 96 96 from anywhere in the world (normal charges apply). More information can be found on Europa Direct website.

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I use my current driving licence? For information about using your EU driving licence in the Netherlands consult Driving Licence or contact the RDW directly at 0900 0739. If you are calling from abroad dial +31 598 39 3330.

How can I import my car? For information on importing your car, consult the Netherlands Vehicle Authority (RDW) website or contact Dutch Customs for further information and advice at +31 (0)70 372 3243.

Which documents can I use to identify myself? As of 1 January 2005, everyone who is 14 years and older must have a valid form of ID with them at all times. The documents used to prove your identity depend on your nationality. If you are living in the Netherlands and are a national of the European Union (or the EEA) you can use your passport or EU document/card.

Further information

If you require further information, call the city information number 14 020 (Monday to Friday, 8:00 to 18:00).