Eric van der Burg has been active in Amsterdam politics since 1987 – initially as local council member and a portfolio holder in the District of Zuidoost, then served as a city councillor between 2001 and 2010. In July 2014, Van der Burg began his second term as alderperson. He is responsible for the portfolios of Health and Welfare, the Elderly, Sport and Recreation, Spatial Planning, Land Management and the District of Zuid.
In his first term as alderperson he managed to retain the personal budget and he launched a successful programme for fighting childhood obesity. During this term he also played a leading role in the preparations for the three decentralisations in Health.
In addition, he was in charge of the personnel reform in the City of Amsterdam, which led to a smaller and results-orientated organisation with an expected reduction of 3,000 FTEs. In the area of sports, Amsterdammers’ participation in sports increased by 10%.
Van der Burg is the father of two children.
Mr. Eric van der Burg
Born on 9 October 1965 in Amsterdam
- VWO Augustinuscollege Amsterdam
- Notarial and Law, VU University Amsterdam (not completed)
- 2010 - present: Alderperson, Amsterdam
- 1997 - 2010: Director Osiragroe
- 2001 - 2010: City Council member, Amsterdam
- 1992 - 1997: Portfolio holder in District of Zuidoost
- 1987 - 1998: District councillor in District of Zuidoost
- 1983 - present: member of the VVD (People's Party for Freedom and Democracy)
- 2014 - present: Member of Topteam Sport
- 2014 - present: Chair of Supervisory Board for broadcaster NTR
- 2013 - present: Member of the Supervisory Board of the Dutch Association for the Handicapped Child (NSGK)
- 2010 - 2014: committee member for the Association of Dutch Municipalities
- 2002 - 2010: Chair of Vrolikstraat Ondernemers Centrum
- 2002 - 2010: Chair of Ondernemers Centrum Watergraafsmeer
- 1998 - 2010: Chair of theatre company DNA
To contact Alderperson Eric van der Burg, complete the contact form or call 020-552 2184.