Driving licence

Unless you are simply visiting or in Amsterdam short-term, it is likely you will need to obtain a Dutch or EU licence. In some cases you will be able to exchange a foreign licence but in other cases you will be required to pass a theory and practical examination.

Further information about obtaining a Dutch driving licence and the requirements and polices which apply can be found on the driving licence page.

Owning a car

All cars must be registered with the Department of Road Transport (RDW), and are subject to a motor vehicle tax (in Dutch) and other taxes including road tax. When driving, you must have the following with you at all times: a valid driving licence (rijbewijs), proof of third-party insurance (autoverzekering), vehicle registration (kentekenbewijs) and a certificate of ownership (tenaamstellingsbewijs).

Third Party Insurance (WA-verzekering)

If you have your own car, motorbike or moped while living in the Netherlands, you are required to insure yourself against legal liability. You are then insured against damage you may cause with your vehicle. The damage to your vehicle is, however, not covered. You can supplement your third party insurance with all-risk cover (cascodekking). This provides insurance for the car itself but not its contents. Use this website to compare car insurances and prices (in Dutch).

Hiring a car

Further information and a list of car rental companies.

Car sharing schemes

Two car sharing companies currently operate in Amsterdam, handy for shorter trips when you only need a car for a few hours. Registration in advance is required, check the Greenwheels and car2go sites for more information and rates.

Expatcenter Partners

For a list of Expatcenter partners, including Transportation providers, please click here.