Amsterdam makes renting easy for businesses
Dutch legislation makes Amsterdam’s local market practice great for businesses. It’s fair, straightforward and logical. Below are some key points:
- Rental terms: any length; five years is standard, but a break after three years is acceptable.
- Security deposits: typically three months rent and three months service charges, plus VAT.
- Renewals: most five-to-ten-year leases have an option to extend by five years.
- Service charges: range from €30-€60 per square metre.
- Taxes: low real-estate tax for occupiers (0.2%-0.3% of the value of the building).
- Breaks: options are negotiable.
- Escalation: typically indexed annually.
- Tenant broker: tenant pays.
- Free rent: common and negotiable.
- Fit-out: tenant usually pays.
- Incentives: range from 5% to 40%.
- Right to sublet: options are negotiable.