Rembrandt van Rijn
From atop the dyke travellers would look out over the River IJ on the one side and the regularly submerged pastures on the other. On the way they would buy vegetables and eggs from farmers and market gardeners, and they would stay the night in one of the many inns along the dyke. Around 1650, the painter Rembrandt van Rijn often went for long walks in order to sketch little farmsteads and stolpschuren (traditional Dutch barns in the shape of a cheese-cover).
The Spaarndammerdijk, currently numbers 709 - 715, 1922
Ons Genoegen (Our pleasure)
Ons Genoegen farmhouse is what remains of a complex with a haybarn and cart shed. The building was granted listed status in 2004, after which it was renovated. Nowadays the farm serves the local community with activities like yoga, music workshops and film evenings. In the former cow byre you can get a drink or some farmers fare from their own organic vegetable garden.
Neighbourhood farm "Ons Genoegen" after restoration
Next to this is the locally listed Saint Barbara cemetery. Architect Adrianus Cyriacus Bleys designed the chapel (among other things) in timber frame style to the left of the entrance. The staff houses on the right were intended for the cemetery warden and two gravediggers. Buried in the cemetery are people such as the famous Dutch poet and writer Alberdingk Thijm (1820-1889) as well as the famous Amsterdam folk singer Manke Nelis (1919-1993).
The chapel by Saint Barbara's cemetary