Year of construction: 1638.
Wind for the mills
This area was the ideal place for windmills. Along the Kostverlorenvaart (waterway) the windmills not only caught plenty of wind but the wide waterways and mooring areas meant that delivering the wood was also easy.
The Otter on the Kostverlorenvaart ca. 1900, at the left you can still the the Luipaard mill
At the windmill timber yard the entrance waterway on the north side and the narrow waterway on the south side can still be seen. Here the wood would be shipped in bound together like timber rafts or delivered in smaller quantities by boat.
The current Otter with wharf, 2005
From trunk to plank
A hoisting crane would then lift the wood out of the water onto the sawing floor of the mill. Here the trunks were sawn into planks, after which they would be dried and stored in the sheds.
The saws at the mill
Large orders for the purposes of shipbuilding and the construction of housing came into the city by boat, while small orders came by horse and cart. The latter entailed the use of specially developed wood-carts, which were also suited to pulling over high bridges. Due to the rise of steam sawmills, the windmills finally became redundant in the second half of the 19th century. Due to the high buildings around them, nowadays the sails catch very little wind, and the windmill remains still. In 1994 De Otter was restored, but it is not open to the public.