Architect: Karel Petrus Cornelis de Bazel (1869-1923)
Commissioned by: Vereeniging De Arbeiderswoning (Association of Labourers Homes)
Year of construction: 1914-1918.
De Bazel based his design on a ratio system he derived from theosophy. In his architecture he strove to design a block of houses as a whole and not, as was still the case at the end of the 19th century, as a series of separate properties. In this regard he allowed himself to draw inspiration from architecture from the Middle East. This inspiration can be seen in the dark band motif on the ground floor and the draughtsmen motif under the eaves.
What is striking in the façade are the incised corners and the recessed and protruding sections in the middle. With these things the architect was hoping to introduce an urban planning emphasis and to improve the floor plan of the corner houses. He designed the gateways in the building as a means of accessing the two schools, a bathhouse and vicarage in the inner grounds.
Entryway to courtyard, 2005
De Bazel also designed the interior of the houses, with simple doors and built-in cupboards. In addition to this he installed a standard fireplace and sink in the living room so that the residents could make use of the limited space as efficiently as possible.
Striking dark brick details, 2005
The workers houses did not have any showers. For that reason, the workers had to wash in washtubs in the living room, something that was not particularly practical in view of the lack of space. And so at that time the residents were less happy with the sober design