Commissioned by: Dienst der Publieke Werken gemeente Amsterdam (Office of Public Works, Municipality of Amsterdam)
Years of construction: 1891-1938 .
Pesthuys (plague house)
As early as 1634 the Pesthuys stood on this site, far outside the city walls. It was a hospital for the sick people who ‘ruined the air’. A hundred years later it burnt to the ground and the Buitengasthuis (outside hospital) rose from its ashes. Even then it was the only building in the wide area. When Amsterdam expanded to the west at the end of the nineteenth century, it was decided to build a new hospital. The Wilhelmina Gasthuis was opened in 1893.
Wilhelmina Gasthuis (hospital), nurses quarters
The new hospital had a modern design. The clinics were housed in single pavilions with their own orchard. For example, pavilions 1 and 2 in front of you housed the departments of internal medicine (right) and neurology/neurosurgery (left). The first stone, laid by Queen Wilhelmina in 1891, can still be seen on the façade of pavilion 2. To the right is the former women’s clinic (pavilion 18).
Woman's clinic and rear view of administration building, 1895-1900
Extra pavilions were added right up to 1937. In the 1950s the compound was deemed full. After years of to-ing and fro-ing, the Academisch Ziekenhuis (Academic Hospital), as it was then called, moved to Amsterdam Zuidoost in 1983. Artists, small companies and welfare organisations moved into the pavilions on the WG-terrein. Some pavilions have been converted into apartments. The former Pathologisch Anatomisch Laboratorium is now an exhibition centre with a café restaurant.
Former Pathalogisch Anatomisch Laboratorium, now the "PAL building", 1996