Monuments

Tetterode thus was made up of four different monuments with one commonality: De Lettergieterij Amsterdam (type foundry), formerly Tetterode. Up to 1980 the company produced lead typesetting letters. The many high windows of the first part (numbers 163 to 167) gave the workers a healthy, light working environment: at the time a new approach to functional building.

 

Front view Tetterode-Nederland NV

Milk factory

The adjacent Holland milk factory (numbers 157 to 161) building was thoroughly renovated and annexed to the complex. The architecture of this part is totally different to its neighbouring buildings with its stone layer of the lower part of the façade and the number of floors: five instead of three.

 

The type foundry with tall windows in the background, 1978

Glass

In 1940, Merkelbach and Karsten designed a new wing intended for the Da Costakade (quay). The war meant that it could only be completed in 1950. The façade, in the style of functional architecture, is made of glass and steel. This makes it very light and it was built with the employees in mind.

 

Section of Tetterode interior, 2009

Squatters

The type foundry moved out in 1980. The threat of demolition hung over the premises, but neighbourhood residents opposed this and squatters moved in. After year of to-ing and fro-ing, the Het Oosten housing corporation managed to turn it into a residential and working location for artists. About 135 artists still live and work there.