Architects: Anthonius Cornelis Boerma (1852-1908), Eduardus Theodorus Adrianus Damen (1848-1908)
Commissioned by: Gemeente Amsterdam (Municipality of Amsterdam)
Years of construction: 1883-1887.
The cattle market and the abattoir were located close to the Oostelijk Havengebied (area) and the railway. This was a logical choice as at the time it was not a residential area, and the transport of livestock and meat could be done either by rail or by water. Still, there was fierce resistance to the plans as it meant that the remaining three operational sawmills - De Hoop (hope), De Liefde (love) and Het Fortuin (prosperity) – had to make way for the municipality’s plans. Only after much judicial wrangling did the sawmill owners give up.
Livestock market, abattoir, interior slaughterhouse, 1910
Old new developments
Many of the cattle market and abattoir buildings have been demolished. Only eight buildings still remain, among which is a number of houses including that of the market overseer and the weighing master, the canteen with its monumental fencing and the police station. The buildings are now encircled by the oldest new development of the Oostelijk Havengebied.
The livestock are led through the gate to the slaughter, 1930
Even while the plans for the new development of the rest of the Oostelijk Havengebied were being drawn up, the future of the former abattoir premises was already clear. Among the new buildings were 550 social housing units. These had to be built quickly given the shortage of affordable housing. The architects Lucien Lafour (1942) and Rikkert Wijk (1948) received the Wibautprijs (award) for urban development for their buildings.
The gates still offer a reminder of the former livestock market