Tunnels and the signal house
The Muiderpoort station’s building lies between the railway lines on the specially designed Oosterspoorplein (square). Two tunnels connected the central hall with the ticket booths with the platforms, which are now accessible from the street through the railway line flyovers. The old signal house, no longer in use, is next to the station. The station’s tower has been a municipal listed building since 2003. The two houses and the curved office block on the square also belong to the station complex.
Main entrance to Muiderpoort station, seen from the Nicolaas de Roeverstraat
Spoorwegwerken Oost (railway works in east Amsterdam)
Work on the Spoorwegwerken Oost was carried out between 1936 and 1940. A direct line was built connecting Utrecht and Amsterdam Central Station, making the old end station on the Rhijnspoorplein (square) redundant and listed for demolition. This made space for laying the Wibautstraat (street). The railway lines between Amsterdam Central Station and Amstel station were raised onto dykes and flyovers. This ended the traffic congestion at the level crossings in Amsterdam Oost.
Railway viaduct by Muiderpoort station under construction, 1936
Persecution of the Jews
During the Second World War, the German occupying forces made intensive use of Muiderpoort station. The Transvaalbuurt (neighbourhood), whose population was mostly Jewish, lay nearby. More than 10,000 Jews were transported to the transit camp at Westerbork, the last stop before the concentration camps of central Europe. A commemoration plaque can be found on the Oosterspoorplein.
Deportation of Amsterdam's Jewish residents from Muiderpoort station, 1943