Commissioned by: Izaäk Balde
Renovation: about 1720-1740.
In around 1733, the owner expanded his property and gave Frankendael its current appearance. Through the years the garden has changed, but the interior of the house with its 18th century layout and plaster and wood finishing has remained largely intact. From 1835 the gardens were partly open to the well-to-do citizens. The park became a pleasure garden where people from Amsterdam could enjoy their leisure time: they could walk, listen to music, dine ... Old documents show that the pleasure garden at Frankendael was a successful business.
Gemeente Handelskwekerij (municipal nursery)
The house and park was bought by the Koninklijke Nederlandsche Tuinbouwmaatschappij Linnaeus (Royal Dutch Horticultural Society) in 1866 and was converted into a tree nursery. In 1882 the municipality bought the land and established the Amsterdamse Stadskwekerij (Amsterdam City Nursery) here. During the Second World War, and in particular in the winter of 1944-1945, there were great shortages of everything including fire wood. People could hand in a coupon to get a bundle of wood from the Stadskwekerij.
Rear view and garden of Frankendael Manor
De Kas (The Greenhouse)
Frankendael Park today is a favourite neighbourhood park. The large chimneys of the Stadskwekerij still stand, just as the old 1926 greenhouse. The greenhouse was destined for demolition, but it eventually was saved, renovated and now has another use. The eight metre tall building is now the home of the organic restaurant and nursery ‘De Kas’ (The Greenhouse).
Entrance gate Frankendael Park