Commissioned by: Gooische Stoomtram (steam tram) NV
Year of construction: 1880.
One of the parties who initiated the Amsterdam tram line was a hotel owner in Laren. He hoped to attract more guests to his hotel by improving connections between Amsterdam and ‘t Gooi. The scheduled service was used by large numbers of holidaymakers during the summer. After the Ajax football club had moved to its stadium on Middenweg (road), the trams were often full of football fans whenever Ajax played at home. After a number of accidents, the steam tram became known locally as ‘the Gooische murderer’. The most serious of these accidents occurred at Laren in 1927, when two steam trams collided head-on, killing four passengers and injuring seven others.
The wooden buildings behind the head office were replaced by stone buildings with an iron roof in 1929. The new tram depot boasted five tracks which could accommodate 24 trams. The steam trams were gradually replaced by engine-powered trams, and the company then changed its name to Gooische Tramweg Maatschappij (tram company). After this, the tramline had to compete with buses, and a bus service started running along this route from then on. Due to fuel shortages, the tram was used to transport passengers and goods for a number of years during the Second World War.
The end of the tram
The last part of the route was finally discontinued in 1958. One engine and a few carriages were transferred to the Hoorn-Medemblik Museumstoomtram (steam tram museum). The head office was converted into a Spar office, and the building is now a private residence. The elegant dormer windows which once adorned the building have meanwhile been replaced by modern skylights.