Through traffic

Between 1843 and 1939 trains departed from Weesperpoortstation (station) to Utrecht. With the completion of the raised railway lines in Amsterdam East and the building of Amstel station, Weesperpoort station became redundant. Wibautstraat (street) was laid on the location of the old railway after the Second World War. Following the demolition of Weesperstraat and the completion of the tunnel under the IJ River, Wibautstraat came to form part of the through traffic route between Het Gooi (region) and the north of the country.

 

The central tax office shortly after its completion. Photo: Nederlands Architectuurinstituut

Amstel campus

Together the Belastinggebouw (Inland Revenue Building) - nowadays also known as the Kohnstammhuis - and the building of the Raad van Arbeid (Labour Council) - also known as the Singelgrachtgebouw - form the heart of the new Amstel campus which the Hogeschool van Amsterdam is developing at the top of Wibautstraat. It is expected that the Amstel campus will be complete in 2015.

 

Inside the Belastingkantoor (tax office), 1960s. Photo: Nederlands Architectuurinstituut

Wibauthuis

For a long time it was not two but three large office buildings that signified the start of Wibautstraat. Apart from the Belastingkantoor and the building for the Raad van Arbeid (Labour Council) there was also the Wibauthuis (1961-1968), a distinctly modern design by N.J.J. Gawronski, an architect from the Dienst der Publieke Werken (Department of Public Works). The Bouw- en Woningtoezicht (Building and Housing Inspection Authority) and the Dienst der Publieke Werken were established here. The office buildings represented three completely different conceptions of how reconstruction in the Netherlands was to take shape. In 2007 the Wibauthuis was demolished.

 

The Wibautstraat in 2006. Labour Council & Wibauthuis (demolished) are on the left