Commissioned: Hendrik-Jan and Jacobus Spijker
Year of construction: c. 1885
From Spijker to Spyker
The former factory building is a good example of the small-scale commercial activity to which De Pijp was home; a large-scale example would be Asscher's diamond factory. Spijker quickly acquired a reputation and even became court supplier to the Dutch Royal Family. In 1899 the company established itself in a brand-new factory complex on the corner of the Amsteldijk and Trompenburgstraat. The name Spijker was changed to the more internationally legible Spyker.
Carriage factory Gebroeders Spijker, 1898
The run of good luck the company had been enjoying came to an end within a few years due to the death of Hendrik Spijker in 1907 and the inability of his brother Jacobus to take over the operational management of the business. And so in 1908 the Spyker factory went bankrupt. That same year the business was continued under new management (now also known under the name Industriële Maatschappij Trompenburg (Trompenburg Industrial Company).
Boy saluting by the entrance to the factory on the Amsteldijk, 1915. Photo: Jan van Dijk
During the First World War the focus was on carriage building, and the company even merged with an aeroplane factory. After the First World War the company flourished once more but, primarily due to American competition, the curtain finally fell in 1926. The existing orders were taken over by Fokker. The name Spijker lives on to this day in Spyker Cars N.V.
An employee works on the wheels of the "Golden Carriage" at the factory, 1898