Press release: 11 May 2012
Thanks to a record number of events held in the city in 2011, the ICCA (International Congress and Convention Association) has confirmed that Amsterdam has gained a higher position in the top 10 list of global convention locations. Amsterdam hosted a total of 114 ICCA-affiliated conventions in 2011. This is eight more than the previous year, promoting Amsterdam from the ninth to eighth position in the rankings.
Amsterdam is renowned amongst event organisers for its excellent accessibility and rich cultural landscape. International conference organisers also greatly appreciate the substantial support provided by local educational and research institutes.
Thanks in part to investment by the Amsterdam Department of Economic Affairs and the Amsterdam trade and industry sector, Amsterdam Marketing – the city marketing collective comprising a variety of organisations including the Amsterdam Convention Board – has been able to expand its activities promoting Amsterdam as a leading international convention city. These efforts are now being rewarded with the move up in the ICCA rankings.
2011 rankings of international convention cities and number of international conferences:
|2011 Ranking||City||Number of conferences|
Source: ICAA, May 2012
2012 also promises to be a strong year for conferences and conventions in Amsterdam. Here are just a few of the major events taking place in Amsterdam this year:
- Bio Europe Spring – During this meeting, companies in life sciences gather to network and share knowledge.
- EACTA 2012 – The 27th annual scientific meeting of the European Association of Cardiothoracic Anesthesiologists takes place in the Amsterdam RAI Convention Centre in spring. Teamwork will be the key theme this year.
- 27th Annual Scientific Meeting
- IBC 2012 – The leading global trade show for professionals engaged in the creation, management and delivery of broadcast media and entertainment.
- PICNIC ’12 – Europe’s leading event for the creative industries will take place on 17 and 18 September 2012
For more information, please contact:
Amsterdam Marketing Press Office
Sebas van der Sangen
T. +31 (0)20 702 6267
M. +31 (0)619 638 346
ATCB Press Office, 11 May 2012