Park & Ride (P+R) is the smartest and cheapest way for drivers to park their car and travel into Amsterdam’s city centre. These car parks are located on the outskirts of the city near motorways and have excellent public transport connections. Public transport brings you right into the centre of Amsterdam in no time.
Using P+R to visit Amsterdam’s city centre
Parking in a P+R car park costs only €1 or €8 per 24 hours – with a maximum parking time of up to 96 hours (subject to exceptions). This is tremendous value for visitors to Amsterdam who will be travelling into the city centre zone.
The P+R rates are calculated as follows:
- Enter on weekdays before 10:00: €8 for the first 24 hours, then €1 for subsequent 24 hour periods
- Enter on weekdays after 10:00: €1 per 24 hours
- Enter in the weekend: €1 per 24 hours
Downloads: Get out and about in Amsterdam with P+R
As well as the details below on this page, make the most of P+R in Amsterdam by downloading and taking the official P+R map and brochure with you! Save these files to your mobile device or print a copy at home.
Condition of P+R: onward travel to city centre zone by public transport
To be eligible for the discounted P+R parking rate:
- You must travel into the city centre zone using your OV-chipkaart or P+R GVB card(s) (which must be purchased within one hour of parking).
- Upon return, the P+R payment machines check whether your last check-in on your return journey took place in the city centre zone. You will only be entitled to the discounted P+R parking rate if this is the case. If your last check-in was at a public transport stop outside the city centre zone, then you will not be entitled to the discounted rate and you must pay the regular parking rate. This ranges from €1.40 to €3.50 per hour.
- Before departing, you must pay your P+R fee within one hour of checking out of public transport.
Please note: the discounted P+R parking rate does not apply to onward journeys by other means of transport (taxi, bike, walking etc.).
Click here to download a PDF map that shows the valid city centre zone (all transport stops within the orange boundary are valid).
Download and print a P+R brochure that lists all locations, opening hours and explains how P+R in Amsterdam works.
Discounted public transport chip cards are available for purchase
Park & Ride users must continue their journey into the city centre zone of Amsterdam. You can do so by using your own OV-chipkaart (public transport chip card). However, it is also possible to purchase discounted P+R GVB cards from the blue ticket machine at each site (you require 1 card per person and can purchase up to 5 cards per car). The P+R GVB transport cards can only be used for travel on GVB bus, trams or metro services.
Price of P+R GVB cards:
- 1 person: €5
- 2 persons: €5
- 3 persons: €5.90
- 4 persons: €6.80
- 5 persons: €7.70
Please note: after entering the P+R facility, you have one hour to purchase your P+R GVB cards. Each P+R GVB card is then valid for one hour of travel into the city centre and one hour of travel back to your P+R location (including transfers if required).
When returning to the P+R location, you must pay your P+R fee within one hour of checking out of public transport.
P+R locations in Amsterdam
Below is a list of Park & Ride locations, in order of likelihood of spaces available. All P+R locations are clearly signposted from major roads and motorway exits (look out for the blue P+R logo).
- P+R ArenA (exit Ouderkerk, follow P1, then P+R signs)
This location is not valid for P+R rates during major events at the ArenA (such as football matches or concerts) and Ziggo Dome (events or concerts). Check a list of event days on the ArenA website and Ziggo Dome website.
- P+R Zeeburg I and P+ R Zeeburg II (exit S114)
Please note: there is no customer service desk at Zeeburg II.
- P+R VUmc (exit S108).
Note: Open on weekends only (Friday from 18:00 until Monday at 04:00. After 04:00 on Monday, a regular hourly rate applies). Entrance open 07:00 to 22:00 on Saturday & Sunday (exit 24 hours a day).
- P+R Bos en Lommer (exit S105 from West, S104 from North)
Entrance open 07:00 to 22:00 (exit 24 hours a day).
- P+R RAI (exit S109)
Entrance open 07:00 to midnight (exit 24 hours a day). This location is not valid for P+R rates during event days at
Amsterdam RAI. Check a calendar of events on the Amsterdam RAI website. Additionally, the P+R rate here is only valid for a maximum of 24 hours.
- P+R Sloterdijk (exit S102)
- P+R Olympisch Stadion (exit S108)
Please note: This P+R is very popular and often full. This location is also not valid for P+R rates during major events at the Olympic Stadium.
How to use the Park & Ride (P+R)
If you're new to P+R in Amsterdam, simply follow the steps below to park your car and enjoy all that the city centre has to offer.
Upon arrival at the P+R
- Collect a car park ticket as you enter the P+R location. Do not use your credit card at the entrance, as it does not provide the P+R discount. Some P+R locations (such as at the RAI) now scan your car’s registration number upon arrival instead of providing paper tickets.
- If you require public transport tickets, go to the blue ticket machine to purchase P+R GVB card(s) – these must be purchased within one hour of parking. Follow signs to the nearest public transport connection and check in at the transport stop or vehicle by holding your card next to the electronic card reader.
- Don't forget to check out when exiting the vehicle or transport stop. When visiting the city, be sure not to lose your P+R GVB card or P+R ticket, as you will no longer be entitled to a discount and will have to pay the normal parking fee. Please note: the P+R chip card is only valid for travelling to and from the P+R location (one hour each way) and not for continuous use in the city centre. In addition, P+R GVB cards are not valid on special night buses, on trains or on Connexxion or Arriva bus services. However, travellers using their private OV-chipkaart can also travel via NS trains and Connexxion bus services.
Upon departure from the P+R
- Use your P+R GVB card or OV-chipkaart for the return journey. Hold your P+R chip card in front of the card reader when entering and exiting the vehicle or transport stop.
- At the P+R location, go to the nearest P+R payment machine (your P+R GVB card or OV-chipkaart must be scanned to confirm they were used to and from the city centre zone). You can pay your P+R fee by debit card (pin) or credit card. Cash payments can only be made in some P+R locations. You must pay your P+R fee within one hour of exiting public transport (otherwise you will be charged the regular parking rate).
- The special P+R rate is valid for a maximum of four consecutive days (96 hours). After 96 hours you will have to pay the normal hourly parking rate.
Feedback and complaints
Queries or complaints regarding the Park & Ride service may be directed to the Department of Infrastructure, Traffic and Transportation of the City of Amsterdam (IVV). Reach them by email at email@example.com or at the following phone number +31 (0)20 624 11 11.